About geranium essential oil:
A member of the Pelargonium genus of flower species, geraniums (Pelagronium graveolens) are grown for their beauty, and as a staple of the perfume industry. While there are over 200 different varieties of Pelargonium flowers, only a few are used as essential oils.
Geranium oil is steam distilled from the whole Pelagronium graveolens plant, yielding an oil with an herbaceous, green, floral, sweet, dry aroma.
The use of geranium essential oil dates back to antiquity, when the ancient Egyptians used it both to beautify skin and for its internal health benefits. In the Victorian era, fresh geranium leaves were placed at formal dining tables, as decorative pieces, and to be consumed as a fresh sprig if desired; in fact, the edible leaves and flowers of the plant are often used in desserts, cakes, jellies and teas.
As an essential oil, geranium has been used to promote clear, healthy skin — making it ideal for skin care products. It also helps calm nerves, lessen stress and support liver health.
Primary benefits of geranium oil
- Promotes clear, healthy skin
- Helps calm nerves and lessen stress
- Supports liver health
Uses for geranium oil
- Use in an aromatherapy steam facial, to promote clear, healthy skin.
- Add a drop to your moisturizer, to promote clear skin.
- Diffuse, to help calm nerves and lessen stress.
- Apply topically, to support liver health.
How to use:
Geranium oil is intended for aromatic, topical and internal use. While gentle enough to be used neat, dilution for those with sensitive skin is recommended.
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl oz of liquid.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. While gentle enough to be used neat, dilution with dōTERRA‘s fractionated coconut oil will help to minimize any possible skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears and sensitive areas.
Chemo-type: Oct-7-enol 3,7-dimethyl-
→ Alcohols (up to 70%):